a. Hormozgan University at a Glance
Hormozgan University was established in 1991 in compliance with the 10/07/1370 enactment of Higher Education Council, Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, with 6 major disciplines in bachelor programs (undergraduate), including Industrial Management, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics Teaching, Physics Teaching, and Persian Literature Teaching. The university launched its study programs in the same year, 1991, when Hormozgan Technical School (affiliated to Shiraz University) has been changed into an autonomous state university in Bandar Abbas, the capital of Hormozgan Province and a coastal city adjacent to Persian Gulf in south of Iran.
b. Present Status
Currently, the university acts as the main and leading state university in south of Iran, with nearly 6000 male and female students; over 40 Bachelor programs (B.A., B.Sc.); 71 Masters programs (M.A., M.Sc.) and 32 Ph.D programs. The distribution of students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs is as follow: 72% in bachelor programs, 25% in masters programs and 3% in PhD.
Hormozgan University presently has 210 full-time Faculty members, with over 140 of its academia as Assistant or Associate professors.
Hormozgan University's organizational and operational structure contains five deputies (Research and Technology deputy; Planning and Development deputy; Undergraduate and Postgraduate educational deputy; Social, and Cultural deputy; and Student deputy).
Moreover Hormozgan University currently has five faculties (schools):
Faculty of Humanities
Faculty of Basic Science
Faculty of Technology and Engineering
Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Faculty of Marine Sciences and Technologies
The university has two associated branches; namely Minab Higher Education Center and Qeshm Graduate School; as well as three research institutes Hormoz Studies and Research School (center), Coastal Wilderness Research School, and Mangrove Forest Regions Research School
d. University Premises
The whole university premises is located in a campus exceeding 55000 square meters (6000 sq allocated to Administration department, 20000 sq to Dormitory, and 29000 sq to educational, cultural and research departments).